Let's Talk About Pets
So, pets. Let’s talk about them.
Everyone loves pets. Okay, most people love pets. If you don’t like pets, I feel sorry for you. Personally, I’m a cat person. I know… Come at me.
So here at The Firm we have a variety of businesses in the pet industry, whether it’s a vet or pet hospital or a pet care business. One of our featured pet businesses that we have sold recently was Life of Riley at the price of $2,708,600—a luxury dog daycare with boarding and grooming. We have seen a trend of luxury pet care businesses. And I wondered why that was. So, I did some research.
There are over 300 million pets in America. And according to the 2019-2020 National Pet Owners Survey conducted by the American Pet Products Association (APPA), 67% of U.S. households own a pet, which amounts to 85 million families. And 60% of this total spending on pets comes from high-income households. I can personally contribute two cats to the 300 million. Here’s a picture for your enjoyment:
The pet care industry continues to grow every year simply because more and more households are beginning to open up their homes to more pets. This has also become more prominent during the pandemic. My roommate was one of the many people to adopt a pet amidst COVID-19. With the increased number of pets, there is an increase in demand for products and services.
Back in 2018, Americans spent over $72 billion on their pets. As people become increasingly drawn to the lifestyle of pampering their pets, this opens up so many more opportunities for investment.
According to the US. Bureau of Labor Statistics, in 2018 more than 300,000 people were employed in the pet care field across the US. Of the $95.7 billion industry, in 2019, $10.3 billion was spent on boarding, grooming, training and walking. This allows for the opportunities within the industry to continue to adapt as people change their behavior and the way they see the role of pets in their households.
Thinking about buying a business in the pet industry? There is always opportunity here, even in a pandemic. Check out some our current pet opportunities here and filter “Vets/Pet Care/Animal Product.”
To read more about how the pet care world had adjusted to the pandemic, click here.
To read more about the pet care Industry, click here.
- Why Effective Communication is Essential in Business
- Remote Work Here to Stay
- Learning From General Mills and Shrimp Tails
- 11 Years of Omaha Magazine’s “Best of B2B”
- Due Diligence: Preparation is Key
- Your Business as a Machine: Exit Planning Is Not Just for Exiting
- 10 Industries That Will See Post-Pandemic Profits
- Self-Care in a Pandemic
- Asset Sale vs. Stock Sale
- 5 Most Influential Women in the US
- Advertising Industry Outlook – Adapting Strategies
- How Important Is Due Diligence?
- 6 Best Christmas Movies of All Time
- Construction Industry Outlook – Remodeling & Renovation
- 4 Upcoming Business Trends of 2021
- Industries Booming During COVID-19
- What Are You Thankful For?
- Why it Makes Sense to Carry as a Seller
- What Exactly Are the Benefits of an SBA Loan?
- 2020 Industry Highs and Lows
- What the "Big Buyers" Want
- What’s an earnout, and why does Ryan Reynolds have one?
- M&A Advisor or Business Broker?
- How to Sell a Business in 7 Easy* Steps
- The Firm Advisors: #1 in the World -- Again!
- Documentation is Key During This Time
- Small Business Debt Relief Program
- Work On Your Small Business (While You Aren't Working In It)
- Meet the Listing: Body Shop w/ Towing & Auto Repair
- Superstitions and Deal Killers
- Choosing Your Investments: Stock Market vs. Business Purchase
- Video: Deal Education
- Industry Spotlight: Advertising and Marketing
- Meet the Team: The Firm Advisors Office Tour
- Securing Your Business Against Ransomware
- M&A: What's an M, and what's an A?
- Location, Location, Relocation
- $20M in One Month
- Pet Care: A Recession-Proof Industry
- The Firm Named to BBB Honor Roll
- Firm Family Christmas
- Firmgiving 2019
- Cortney Sells on IBBA's Podcast
- The Firm Makes Inc. 5000
- M&A: The Industry Defying Gravity
- Have You Met Makayla?
- Dr. Lemberg's Pathway to Retirement
- Steven Makes His Mark in M&A
- Hot Off the Press - June 2019 Magazine
- All Good Things Take Time
- The Firm June Magazine Release Celebration
- The Firm Feels Good Doing Good
- Corner Kick Spoils our Swan
- Opportunity of the Week: A Business That Brightens Children’s Futures
- Q&A With Cortney: Stock Sale Versus Asset Sale
- The Ins and Outs of Seller Financing
- Preparing for the Perfect Retirement
- The Firm Is Breaking Industry Records & Poised for Growth in 2019
- Simply the Best
- Competitor Analysis, Opportunities Listed
- Dentist to Dreamer - Hard Work Pays Off!
- Kansas City Tech Company Useagility Sells to First Tek
- 8th Year as Omaha's Best Business Brokerage
- Sellers: Why You Should Finance Your Buyers
- Summer Intern 2017 - Ameya Shelby
- Industry Forecast: Mind the Generational Gap
- 8 Things We Wish Every Business Buyer Knew Before Calling Us
- Selling Your Business: Getting a Proper Business Valuation
- Asset Sales or Stock Sales: Determining the Best for Your Business Transaction
- Why (and How) Business Owners Are Selling in 2017
- The Law of 3's - Choosing the Right Kind of Broker
- A Mutually Beneficial Relationship
- Reaching Out is Key
- Confidential Business Reviews
- A Change of Pace to Business Ownership
- Confidentiality is at the Core of Business
- Moving into the Boardroom
- Buying a Business vs. Starting Your Own
- Bringing Buyers and Sellers Together is Just the Beginning
- Client Interfacing in the Digital Age
- Four Questions Every Buyer Should Ask
- The Firm Outpaces Transaction Totals from Previous Two Years
- Faces of Omaha 2016: Face of Business Brokerages
- The Firm Business Brokerage Set to Double Sales within Seller's Market - MBJ 2014