Growth Mindset: Essential in the Workplace
This is the era of buzz words—words that we all say but really don’t have a clear purpose or meaning. This is especially true in the office. Let’s just take a look at some of the most popular buzz words and phrases in the workplace:
- Back Pocket: “Let’s keep that in our back pocket.”
- Line in the Sand: “We need to draw a clear line in the sand.”
- Deep Dive: “We’ll do a deep dive when we…”
- Circle Back: “I wanted to circle back on…”
Also on the never ending list of buzz words is growth mindset. I would generally say let’s eliminate buzz words altogether as it is just better communication to directly say what you mean. But I do think there is value in the term growth mindset. So let’s define it to make the phrase effective.
The concept of a growth mindset is credited to Stanford psychologist Carol Dweck. In her book, “Mindset: The New Psychology of Success,” she emphasizes the power of our beliefs and how they can dramatically affect our lives. She talks about the difference between fixed mindset and growth mindset. While a fixed mindset believes that you are unable to change or develop your intelligence or character, growth mindset does not see these attributes as static. Instead, “we have the opportunity to grow, learn and adapt to the situation as new challenges and tasks arrive.” Failure is not due to someone’s personal flaw but is instead an opportunity for learning and growth.
This type of mindset is essential in the workplace as it encourages your employees to take failure and turn it into the development of a new or improved skill/attribute. This will lead your team into success.
An article from Michelle McQuaid shares that Dweck’s research found employees in a growth mindset workplace are 47% more likely to say their colleagues are trustworthy than those with a fixed mindset. These employees are also 34% more likely to feel a strong commitment to their organization, are 65% more likely to say that their company takes risks and 49% more likely to say that their organization promotes innovation.
McQuaid sums up Dweck’s latest research by saying the growth mindset in the workplace “shapes our ability to create innovative, risk-taking cultures and have happier employees.”
Let us focus on an individual’s ability to grow instead of fixating on failure. This will continue to improve your company’s culture and therefore strengthen your company for success.
To learn more about growth mindset, check out these sources:
The Muse’s 30 Buzzword-y Phrases You Should Cut From Your Vocabulary (Like, Right Now)
Cornerstone’s Seeing Success: Why You Should Promote a Growth Mindset in the Workplace
Impraise’s How to Develop a Growth Mindset in Your Team
- Turning Your Passion Into a Career- With Celebrity Astrologer Kyle Thomas
- Using FBI Tactics to Close a Deal
- How to Rest - The Secret to Success
- 3 Ways to Find Hidden Treasures in Your Team
- 3 Ways to Hire Top Talent for Your Open Positions
- Less is More: Growing Your Business
- Reaching for the Mountains: Setting Obtainable Goals
- Stop Waiting and Start Now
- How to Increase Workplace Productivity
- 3 Ways to Tackle the Summer as a Small Business
- 4 Free Resources for Small Businesses
- Embracing the Unknown in Business
- Setting Healthy Expectations in the Workplace
- Why Effective Communication is Essential in Business
- Remote Work Here to Stay
- Learning From General Mills and Shrimp Tails
- 11 Years of Omaha Magazine’s “Best of B2B”
- Due Diligence: Preparation is Key
- Your Business as a Machine: Exit Planning Is Not Just for Exiting
- 10 Industries That Will See Post-Pandemic Profits
- Self-Care in a Pandemic
- Asset Sale vs. Stock Sale
- 5 Most Influential Women in the US
- Advertising Industry Outlook – Adapting Strategies
- How Important Is Due Diligence?
- 6 Best Christmas Movies of All Time
- Construction Industry Outlook – Remodeling & Renovation
- 4 Upcoming Business Trends of 2021
- Industries Booming During COVID-19
- What Are You Thankful For?
- Why it Makes Sense to Carry as a Seller
- Let's Talk About Pets
- What Exactly Are the Benefits of an SBA Loan?
- 2020 Industry Highs and Lows
- What the "Big Buyers" Want
- What’s an earnout, and why does Ryan Reynolds have one?
- M&A Advisor or Business Broker?
- How to Sell a Business in 7 Easy* Steps
- The Firm Advisors: #1 in the World -- Again!
- Documentation is Key During This Time
- Small Business Debt Relief Program
- Work On Your Small Business (While You Aren't Working In It)
- Meet the Listing: Body Shop w/ Towing & Auto Repair
- Superstitions and Deal Killers
- Choosing Your Investments: Stock Market vs. Business Purchase
- Video: Deal Education
- Industry Spotlight: Advertising and Marketing
- Meet the Team: The Firm Advisors Office Tour
- Securing Your Business Against Ransomware
- M&A: What's an M, and what's an A?
- Location, Location, Relocation
- $20M in One Month
- Pet Care: A Recession-Proof Industry
- The Firm Named to BBB Honor Roll
- Firm Family Christmas
- Firmgiving 2019
- Cortney Sells on IBBA's Podcast
- The Firm Makes Inc. 5000
- M&A: The Industry Defying Gravity
- Have You Met Makayla?
- Dr. Lemberg's Pathway to Retirement
- Steven Makes His Mark in M&A
- Hot Off the Press - June 2019 Magazine
- All Good Things Take Time
- The Firm June Magazine Release Celebration
- The Firm Feels Good Doing Good
- Corner Kick Spoils our Swan
- Opportunity of the Week: A Business That Brightens Children’s Futures
- Q&A With Cortney: Stock Sale Versus Asset Sale
- The Ins and Outs of Seller Financing
- Preparing for the Perfect Retirement
- The Firm Is Breaking Industry Records & Poised for Growth in 2019
- Simply the Best
- Competitor Analysis, Opportunities Listed
- Dentist to Dreamer - Hard Work Pays Off!
- Kansas City Tech Company Useagility Sells to First Tek
- 8th Year as Omaha's Best Business Brokerage
- Sellers: Why You Should Finance Your Buyers
- Summer Intern 2017 - Ameya Shelby
- Industry Forecast: Mind the Generational Gap
- 8 Things We Wish Every Business Buyer Knew Before Calling Us
- Selling Your Business: Getting a Proper Business Valuation
- Asset Sales or Stock Sales: Determining the Best for Your Business Transaction
- Why (and How) Business Owners Are Selling in 2017
- The Law of 3's - Choosing the Right Kind of Broker
- A Mutually Beneficial Relationship
- Reaching Out is Key
- Confidential Business Reviews
- A Change of Pace to Business Ownership
- Confidentiality is at the Core of Business
- Moving into the Boardroom
- Buying a Business vs. Starting Your Own
- Bringing Buyers and Sellers Together is Just the Beginning
- Client Interfacing in the Digital Age
- Four Questions Every Buyer Should Ask
- The Firm Outpaces Transaction Totals from Previous Two Years
- Faces of Omaha 2016: Face of Business Brokerages
- The Firm Business Brokerage Set to Double Sales within Seller's Market - MBJ 2014