How to Sell a Business in 7 Easy* Steps
There's an asterisk in the title of this blog post for a reason: selling a business by yourself is not easy. For many business owners, this can be an emotional time, and for others, finding the right buyer for the industry without handing business over to a competitor can be tricky to navigate. That's why The Firm uses a tried-and-true, successful process to guide our Sellers in the right direction.
Business Owner signs a Mutual Confidential Disclosure Agreement, ensuring The Firm will keep everything 100% confidential. Owner will need to provide copies of three years of certified financial statements.
A complimentary valuation of the business is prepared using one of four valuation methods:
• Asset Valuation
• Cost-to-Create Valuation
• Industry Valuation
• Cash Flow Valuation
The Valuation is then presented and explained in detail to the Business Owner.
Engagement Agreement is signed and private placement efforts of The Firm's qualified buyers begin.
Introduction of Buyer and Seller where The Firm broker will guide the meeting entirely.
This call is for fact-finding only, no negotiation as to price or terms.
Buyer will gain all necessary information to submit a Contingent Offer to Purchase or Letter of Intent in order to begin Due Diligence.
Buyer submits Contingent Offer and provides escrow deposit upon acceptance.
Due diligence begins.
Seller begins full disclosure of balance sheets, asset lists and costs, contracts, customers, and any additional information pertinent to Buyer verification.
Buyer reviews leases, contracts, and other assumable agreements.
Buyer performs detailed review of all aspects of the business and its operations.
Preparation of Closing Documents:
• Asset Purchase Agreement
• Bill of Sale
• UCC Filings, etc.
Buyer has confirmed that all contingencies have been met and Due Diligence satisfied.
All final documents will be reviewed and finalized by Buyer and Seller and any of their advisors.
Buyer, Seller and a member of our Deal Team meet with The Firm, either in person or digitally, for signing final documents.
Money is transferred.
- Turning Your Passion Into a Career- With Celebrity Astrologer Kyle Thomas
- Using FBI Tactics to Close a Deal
- How to Rest - The Secret to Success
- 3 Ways to Find Hidden Treasures in Your Team
- 3 Ways to Hire Top Talent for Your Open Positions
- Less is More: Growing Your Business
- Reaching for the Mountains: Setting Obtainable Goals
- Stop Waiting and Start Now
- How to Increase Workplace Productivity
- Growth Mindset: Essential in the Workplace
- 3 Ways to Tackle the Summer as a Small Business
- 4 Free Resources for Small Businesses
- Embracing the Unknown in Business
- Setting Healthy Expectations in the Workplace
- Why Effective Communication is Essential in Business
- Remote Work Here to Stay
- Learning From General Mills and Shrimp Tails
- 11 Years of Omaha Magazine’s “Best of B2B”
- Due Diligence: Preparation is Key
- Your Business as a Machine: Exit Planning Is Not Just for Exiting
- 10 Industries That Will See Post-Pandemic Profits
- Self-Care in a Pandemic
- Asset Sale vs. Stock Sale
- 5 Most Influential Women in the US
- Advertising Industry Outlook – Adapting Strategies
- How Important Is Due Diligence?
- 6 Best Christmas Movies of All Time
- Construction Industry Outlook – Remodeling & Renovation
- 4 Upcoming Business Trends of 2021
- Industries Booming During COVID-19
- What Are You Thankful For?
- Why it Makes Sense to Carry as a Seller
- Let's Talk About Pets
- What Exactly Are the Benefits of an SBA Loan?
- 2020 Industry Highs and Lows
- What the "Big Buyers" Want
- What’s an earnout, and why does Ryan Reynolds have one?
- M&A Advisor or Business Broker?
- The Firm Advisors: #1 in the World -- Again!
- Documentation is Key During This Time
- Small Business Debt Relief Program
- Work On Your Small Business (While You Aren't Working In It)
- Meet the Listing: Body Shop w/ Towing & Auto Repair
- Superstitions and Deal Killers
- Choosing Your Investments: Stock Market vs. Business Purchase
- Video: Deal Education
- Industry Spotlight: Advertising and Marketing
- Meet the Team: The Firm Advisors Office Tour
- Securing Your Business Against Ransomware
- M&A: What's an M, and what's an A?
- Location, Location, Relocation
- $20M in One Month
- Pet Care: A Recession-Proof Industry
- The Firm Named to BBB Honor Roll
- Firm Family Christmas
- Firmgiving 2019
- Cortney Sells on IBBA's Podcast
- The Firm Makes Inc. 5000
- M&A: The Industry Defying Gravity
- Have You Met Makayla?
- Dr. Lemberg's Pathway to Retirement
- Steven Makes His Mark in M&A
- Hot Off the Press - June 2019 Magazine
- All Good Things Take Time
- The Firm June Magazine Release Celebration
- The Firm Feels Good Doing Good
- Corner Kick Spoils our Swan
- Opportunity of the Week: A Business That Brightens Children’s Futures
- Q&A With Cortney: Stock Sale Versus Asset Sale
- The Ins and Outs of Seller Financing
- Preparing for the Perfect Retirement
- The Firm Is Breaking Industry Records & Poised for Growth in 2019
- Simply the Best
- Competitor Analysis, Opportunities Listed
- Dentist to Dreamer - Hard Work Pays Off!
- Kansas City Tech Company Useagility Sells to First Tek
- 8th Year as Omaha's Best Business Brokerage
- Sellers: Why You Should Finance Your Buyers
- Summer Intern 2017 - Ameya Shelby
- Industry Forecast: Mind the Generational Gap
- 8 Things We Wish Every Business Buyer Knew Before Calling Us
- Selling Your Business: Getting a Proper Business Valuation
- Asset Sales or Stock Sales: Determining the Best for Your Business Transaction
- Why (and How) Business Owners Are Selling in 2017
- The Law of 3's - Choosing the Right Kind of Broker
- A Mutually Beneficial Relationship
- Reaching Out is Key
- Confidential Business Reviews
- A Change of Pace to Business Ownership
- Confidentiality is at the Core of Business
- Moving into the Boardroom
- Buying a Business vs. Starting Your Own
- Bringing Buyers and Sellers Together is Just the Beginning
- Client Interfacing in the Digital Age
- Four Questions Every Buyer Should Ask
- The Firm Outpaces Transaction Totals from Previous Two Years
- Faces of Omaha 2016: Face of Business Brokerages
- The Firm Business Brokerage Set to Double Sales within Seller's Market - MBJ 2014