Work On Your Small Business (While You Aren't Working In It)
Work On Your Small Business (While You Can’t Work In It)
Tough times are upon us all as we await the dissipation of the COVID-19 virus. Over the next few weeks, service-industry businesses will be hit hard as most North Americans retreat to the safety of their own homes. Some businesses have moved to a remote workforce, while some of have shut down entirely to await the conclusion of the coronavirus era, a time we are all eagerly awaiting.
While there may not be as many clients to serve or as many projects to complete, there are some things every business owner can do to increase the eventual sale value of the business, even if your corner office is now your own living room sofa.
Document Processes and Procedures
When an invoice comes in, who enters it into the system? Who prints the check? Who signs off on the work? Any work function that happens should be documented so there is a manual to follow should you or someone within your company need to be replaced for a short-term basis. Flow charts are often a good way to put this into writing to attach a visual.
Create Emergency Contact Lists
Who do you call when the plumbing leaks? Who checks the fire extinguishers yearly? Compiling all these items in one central location can make your company more adept to move and change as the circumstances allow.
Review Your Handbook
With things shifting and changing so frequently in our world, your handbook may be out of date. In particluar, make sure your internet and cell phone policies are in step with your employees' day-to-day work lives so expectation aligns with reality.
- 3 Ways to Hire Top Talent for Your Open Positions
- Less is More: Growing Your Business
- Reaching for the Mountains: Setting Obtainable Goals
- Stop Waiting and Start Now
- How to Increase Workplace Productivity
- Growth Mindset: Essential in the Workplace
- 3 Ways to Tackle the Summer as a Small Business
- 4 Free Resources for Small Businesses
- Embracing the Unknown in Business
- Setting Healthy Expectations in the Workplace
- Why Effective Communication is Essential in Business
- Remote Work Here to Stay
- Learning From General Mills and Shrimp Tails
- 11 Years of Omaha Magazine’s “Best of B2B”
- Due Diligence: Preparation is Key
- Your Business as a Machine: Exit Planning Is Not Just for Exiting
- 10 Industries That Will See Post-Pandemic Profits
- Self-Care in a Pandemic
- Asset Sale vs. Stock Sale
- 5 Most Influential Women in the US
- Advertising Industry Outlook – Adapting Strategies
- How Important Is Due Diligence?
- 6 Best Christmas Movies of All Time
- Construction Industry Outlook – Remodeling & Renovation
- 4 Upcoming Business Trends of 2021
- Industries Booming During COVID-19
- What Are You Thankful For?
- Why it Makes Sense to Carry as a Seller
- Let's Talk About Pets
- What Exactly Are the Benefits of an SBA Loan?
- 2020 Industry Highs and Lows
- What the "Big Buyers" Want
- What’s an earnout, and why does Ryan Reynolds have one?
- M&A Advisor or Business Broker?
- How to Sell a Business in 7 Easy* Steps
- The Firm Advisors: #1 in the World -- Again!
- Documentation is Key During This Time
- Small Business Debt Relief Program
- Meet the Listing: Body Shop w/ Towing & Auto Repair
- Superstitions and Deal Killers
- Choosing Your Investments: Stock Market vs. Business Purchase
- Video: Deal Education
- Industry Spotlight: Advertising and Marketing
- Meet the Team: The Firm Advisors Office Tour
- Securing Your Business Against Ransomware
- M&A: What's an M, and what's an A?
- Location, Location, Relocation
- $20M in One Month
- Pet Care: A Recession-Proof Industry
- The Firm Named to BBB Honor Roll
- Firm Family Christmas
- Firmgiving 2019
- Cortney Sells on IBBA's Podcast
- The Firm Makes Inc. 5000
- M&A: The Industry Defying Gravity
- Have You Met Makayla?
- Dr. Lemberg's Pathway to Retirement
- Steven Makes His Mark in M&A
- Hot Off the Press - June 2019 Magazine
- All Good Things Take Time
- The Firm June Magazine Release Celebration
- The Firm Feels Good Doing Good
- Corner Kick Spoils our Swan
- Opportunity of the Week: A Business That Brightens Children’s Futures
- Q&A With Cortney: Stock Sale Versus Asset Sale
- The Ins and Outs of Seller Financing
- Preparing for the Perfect Retirement
- The Firm Is Breaking Industry Records & Poised for Growth in 2019
- Simply the Best
- Competitor Analysis, Opportunities Listed
- Dentist to Dreamer - Hard Work Pays Off!
- Kansas City Tech Company Useagility Sells to First Tek
- 8th Year as Omaha's Best Business Brokerage
- Sellers: Why You Should Finance Your Buyers
- Summer Intern 2017 - Ameya Shelby
- Industry Forecast: Mind the Generational Gap
- 8 Things We Wish Every Business Buyer Knew Before Calling Us
- Selling Your Business: Getting a Proper Business Valuation
- Asset Sales or Stock Sales: Determining the Best for Your Business Transaction
- Why (and How) Business Owners Are Selling in 2017
- The Law of 3's - Choosing the Right Kind of Broker
- A Mutually Beneficial Relationship
- Reaching Out is Key
- Confidential Business Reviews
- A Change of Pace to Business Ownership
- Confidentiality is at the Core of Business
- Moving into the Boardroom
- Buying a Business vs. Starting Your Own
- Bringing Buyers and Sellers Together is Just the Beginning
- Client Interfacing in the Digital Age
- Four Questions Every Buyer Should Ask
- The Firm Outpaces Transaction Totals from Previous Two Years
- Faces of Omaha 2016: Face of Business Brokerages
- The Firm Business Brokerage Set to Double Sales within Seller's Market - MBJ 2014