Summer Intern 2017 - Ameya Shelby
The Firm Business Brokerage is happy to announce the successful completion of its first Brownell Talbot paid internship this past summer. Incoming senior Ameya Shelby assisted The Firm with research, data integration and social media planning. In the past, The Firm has worked with local college students to give them a taste of working for a brokerage, but Cortney Sells, president of The Firm, felt that it was time to open the opportunity up to high schoolers. Allowing juniors and seniors in high school to experience and actively participate in the workings of a thriving business can help them to shape their college and career decisions, and Shelby saw it as a chance to “witness what happens in an actual business and to work alongside” professionals to gain that understanding. Shelby’s internship coincided nicely with the packed three weeks she spent at The Wharton School, where she stepped further into her pursuit of Finance for her undergraduate studies.
As a woman-owned business, The Firm likes to encourage young women to become involved in the business world, and Shelby is exactly what the brokerage looks for when seeking out interns. Shelby’s time is split between captaining the tennis team, participating on the speech and math teams, and conducting medical research on the side, to name a few. Her research focuses on children’s heart health, specifically achieving new ways to increase the efficiency with which cardio test data is read and interpreted. She’s had the distinct pleasure of seeing some of her work co-published by the American Society of Echocardiography.
At the moment, Shelby is considering combining her interest in finance with medicine, and is looking at a number of Ivy League institutions. In the meantime, she and a friend are in the beginning stages of starting a charity that aims to partner with elementary schools and donors to fundraise clothing and other necessities for children locally and internationally. Shelby’s work in this arena folds well into the “can-do” spirit championed by The Firm’s team. In fact, charity is a large part of The Firm’s and Sells’ background, with Sells sitting on the board for Heartland Family Services and continually promoting the health and well-being of Omaha’s impoverished. For Sells, it’s not just enough to give, but to actively give back, taking an active role in changing Omaha for the better.
The Firm expects that this is just the first of many summers to come, with Brownell Talbot and Omaha’s many other high schoolers working toward real business experience.
- Securing Your Business Against Ransomware
- M&A: What's an M, and what's an A?
- Location, Location, Relocation
- $20M in One Month
- Pet Care: A Recession-Proof Industry
- The Firm Named to BBB Honor Roll
- Firm Family Christmas
- Firmgiving 2019
- Cortney Sells on IBBA's Podcast
- The Firm Makes Inc. 5000
- M&A: The Industry Defying Gravity
- Have You Met Makayla?
- Dr. Lemberg's Pathway to Retirement
- Steven Makes His Mark in M&A
- Hot Off the Press - June 2019 Magazine
- All Good Things Take Time
- The Firm June Magazine Release Celebration
- The Firm Feels Good Doing Good
- Corner Kick Spoils our Swan
- Opportunity of the Week: A Business That Brightens Children’s Futures
- Q&A With Cortney: Stock Sale Versus Asset Sale
- The Ins and Outs of Seller Financing
- Preparing for the Perfect Retirement
- The Firm Is Breaking Industry Records & Poised for Growth in 2019
- Simply the Best
- Competitor Analysis, Opportunities Listed
- Dentist to Dreamer - Hard Work Pays Off!
- Kansas City Tech Company Useagility Sells to First Tek
- 8th Year as Omaha's Best Business Brokerage
- Sellers: Why You Should Finance Your Buyers
- Industry Forecast: Mind the Generational Gap
- 8 Things We Wish Every Business Buyer Knew Before Calling Us
- Selling Your Business: Getting a Proper Business Valuation
- Asset Sales or Stock Sales: Determining the Best for Your Business Transaction
- Why (and How) Business Owners Are Selling in 2017
- The Law of 3's - Choosing the Right Kind of Broker
- A Mutually Beneficial Relationship
- Reaching Out is Key
- Confidential Business Reviews
- A Change of Pace to Business Ownership
- Confidentiality is at the Core of Business
- Moving into the Boardroom
- Buying a Business vs. Starting Your Own
- Bringing Buyers and Sellers Together is Just the Beginning
- Client Interfacing in the Digital Age
- Four Questions Every Buyer Should Ask
- The Firm Outpaces Transaction Totals from Previous Two Years
- Faces of Omaha 2016: Face of Business Brokerages
- The Firm Business Brokerage Set to Double Sales within Seller's Market - MBJ 2014