Choosing Your Investments: Stock Market vs. Business Purchase
If you’ve ever seen Shark Tank, you’ve probably seen Kevin O’Leary (“Mr. Wonderful”) refer to his money as soldiers. The idea is this: send your soldiers out to do battle on your behalf and recruit other soldiers to bring back with them.
When deciding what to invest in, there are active and passive opportunities. Many smart investors have spent time diversifying their portfolios to not only include stock market investments, but also more income-generating methods like business ownership.
When comparing the rates of return, it’s easy to see why. Though a business requires more time and attention than a passive investment in the stock market, the average Dow Jones Industrial Average annual return over the last 100 years is 5.42%. The S&P 500 performs slightly better, around 7.96% since its reformatting in 1957.
However, investing money in a business often shows that through focused acquisitions, the return on your initial investment can be 50% or more in the first year. At The Firm, we helpfully include a Funding Example with our businesses, similar to a mortgage calculator.
Take, for example, this Renovations company near Houston with a 43% Return on Investment the first year:
Offer Price: $1,400,000
12.5% Buyer Cash Down at Closing: $175,000
12.5% Seller Carry Back via Promissory Note: $175,000
5 year term at a rate of 4.5%
25% of Purchase Price secured by Buyer and Seller
Total Bank Loan Need: $1,050,000
75% of Purchase Price
Desired Bank Terms: 8 year term at a rate of 6%
BUYER'S NET OPERATING INCOME (NOI)
The amount of money the Buyer will retain as profit.
2019 Cash Flow: $454,327
Annual Debt Service: -$204,744
BUYER'S RETURN ON INVESTMENT (ROI)
The rate of return on the Buyer's down payment.
Down Payment: $175,000
As you can see, many businesses can offer returns for investors of much higher than the stock market’s average. It may be worth your time, money and energy to take a hands-on approach to investing through business ownership.
- 11 Years of Omaha Magazine’s “Best of B2B”
- Due Diligence: Preparation is Key
- Your Business as a Machine: Exit Planning Is Not Just for Exiting
- 10 Industries That Will See Post-Pandemic Profits
- Self-Care in a Pandemic
- Asset Sale vs. Stock Sale
- 5 Most Influential Women in the US
- Advertising Industry Outlook – Adapting Strategies
- How Important Is Due Diligence?
- 6 Best Christmas Movies of All Time
- Construction Industry Outlook – Remodeling & Renovation
- 4 Upcoming Business Trends of 2021
- Industries Booming During COVID-19
- What Are You Thankful For?
- Why it Makes Sense to Carry as a Seller
- Let's Talk About Pets
- What Exactly Are the Benefits of an SBA Loan?
- 2020 Industry Highs and Lows
- What the "Big Buyers" Want
- What’s an earnout, and why does Ryan Reynolds have one?
- M&A Advisor or Business Broker?
- How to Sell a Business in 7 Easy* Steps
- The Firm Advisors: #1 in the World -- Again!
- Documentation is Key During This Time
- Small Business Debt Relief Program
- Work On Your Small Business (While You Aren't Working In It)
- Meet the Listing: Body Shop w/ Towing & Auto Repair
- Superstitions and Deal Killers
- Video: Deal Education
- Industry Spotlight: Advertising and Marketing
- Meet the Team: The Firm Advisors Office Tour
- Securing Your Business Against Ransomware
- M&A: What's an M, and what's an A?
- Location, Location, Relocation
- $20M in One Month
- Pet Care: A Recession-Proof Industry
- The Firm Named to BBB Honor Roll
- Firm Family Christmas
- Firmgiving 2019
- Cortney Sells on IBBA's Podcast
- The Firm Makes Inc. 5000
- M&A: The Industry Defying Gravity
- Have You Met Makayla?
- Dr. Lemberg's Pathway to Retirement
- Steven Makes His Mark in M&A
- Hot Off the Press - June 2019 Magazine
- All Good Things Take Time
- The Firm June Magazine Release Celebration
- The Firm Feels Good Doing Good
- Corner Kick Spoils our Swan
- Opportunity of the Week: A Business That Brightens Children’s Futures
- Q&A With Cortney: Stock Sale Versus Asset Sale
- The Ins and Outs of Seller Financing
- Preparing for the Perfect Retirement
- The Firm Is Breaking Industry Records & Poised for Growth in 2019
- Simply the Best
- Competitor Analysis, Opportunities Listed
- Dentist to Dreamer - Hard Work Pays Off!
- Kansas City Tech Company Useagility Sells to First Tek
- 8th Year as Omaha's Best Business Brokerage
- Sellers: Why You Should Finance Your Buyers
- Summer Intern 2017 - Ameya Shelby
- Industry Forecast: Mind the Generational Gap
- 8 Things We Wish Every Business Buyer Knew Before Calling Us
- Selling Your Business: Getting a Proper Business Valuation
- Asset Sales or Stock Sales: Determining the Best for Your Business Transaction
- Why (and How) Business Owners Are Selling in 2017
- The Law of 3's - Choosing the Right Kind of Broker
- A Mutually Beneficial Relationship
- Reaching Out is Key
- Confidential Business Reviews
- A Change of Pace to Business Ownership
- Confidentiality is at the Core of Business
- Moving into the Boardroom
- Buying a Business vs. Starting Your Own
- Bringing Buyers and Sellers Together is Just the Beginning
- Client Interfacing in the Digital Age
- Four Questions Every Buyer Should Ask
- The Firm Outpaces Transaction Totals from Previous Two Years
- Faces of Omaha 2016: Face of Business Brokerages
- The Firm Business Brokerage Set to Double Sales within Seller's Market - MBJ 2014