Documentation is Key During This Time
There has been a meme for our industry making its rounds on Twitter that says instead of EBITDA, in the coming years we’ll be referring to EBITDAC… “earnings before interest, tax, depreciation, amortization coronavirus.”
As the global pandemic continues to impact businesses and individuals across the globe, one question we’ve heard quite often from potential buyers is, “And how are they handling the COVID-19 situation?”
Many regular activities have seen an upheaval, and your company’s coronavirus response will likely be discussed for some time – typically, business buyers (and their associated lending institutions) review at minimum of three years’ worth of financials when making their decisions.
We suggest taking note of your business’s operations so you will be able to accurately respond. Here are some questions to ask yourself now and in the coming months as the economy recovers:
What did your financials look like in January through March of 2019, and how does that compare to 2020? (Running a Q1 year-over-year report may be helpful.)
How many staff/payroll hours do you typically run in a month, and how does that compare to April of 2020?
Did your business get offered a PPP loan? Did you accept it?
Of your employees: how would you classify each staff member’s utilization rate before the social distancing restrictions? How would you classify it at the end of March 2020? How does that compare to the end of April 2020?
Did you reduce your operating hours? How/when did you reopen?
As always, if a sale is on the horizon, we recommend contacting us for a complimentary valuation for an accurate market-based measure of the current value of your company.
Stay safe, and we look forward to closing deals with a handshake (or an elbow bump!) again soon.
- How to Sell a Business in 7 Easy* Steps
- The Firm Advisors: #1 in the World -- Again!
- Small Business Debt Relief Program
- Work On Your Small Business (While You Aren't Working In It)
- Meet the Listing: Body Shop w/ Towing & Auto Repair
- Superstitions and Deal Killers
- Choosing Your Investments: Stock Market vs. Business Purchase
- Video: Deal Education
- Industry Spotlight: Advertising and Marketing
- Meet the Team: The Firm Advisors Office Tour
- Securing Your Business Against Ransomware
- M&A: What's an M, and what's an A?
- Location, Location, Relocation
- $20M in One Month
- Pet Care: A Recession-Proof Industry
- The Firm Named to BBB Honor Roll
- Firm Family Christmas
- Firmgiving 2019
- Cortney Sells on IBBA's Podcast
- The Firm Makes Inc. 5000
- M&A: The Industry Defying Gravity
- Have You Met Makayla?
- Dr. Lemberg's Pathway to Retirement
- Steven Makes His Mark in M&A
- Hot Off the Press - June 2019 Magazine
- All Good Things Take Time
- The Firm June Magazine Release Celebration
- The Firm Feels Good Doing Good
- Corner Kick Spoils our Swan
- Opportunity of the Week: A Business That Brightens Children’s Futures
- Q&A With Cortney: Stock Sale Versus Asset Sale
- The Ins and Outs of Seller Financing
- Preparing for the Perfect Retirement
- The Firm Is Breaking Industry Records & Poised for Growth in 2019
- Simply the Best
- Competitor Analysis, Opportunities Listed
- Dentist to Dreamer - Hard Work Pays Off!
- Kansas City Tech Company Useagility Sells to First Tek
- 8th Year as Omaha's Best Business Brokerage
- Sellers: Why You Should Finance Your Buyers
- Summer Intern 2017 - Ameya Shelby
- Industry Forecast: Mind the Generational Gap
- 8 Things We Wish Every Business Buyer Knew Before Calling Us
- Selling Your Business: Getting a Proper Business Valuation
- Asset Sales or Stock Sales: Determining the Best for Your Business Transaction
- Why (and How) Business Owners Are Selling in 2017
- The Law of 3's - Choosing the Right Kind of Broker
- A Mutually Beneficial Relationship
- Reaching Out is Key
- Confidential Business Reviews
- A Change of Pace to Business Ownership
- Confidentiality is at the Core of Business
- Moving into the Boardroom
- Buying a Business vs. Starting Your Own
- Bringing Buyers and Sellers Together is Just the Beginning
- Client Interfacing in the Digital Age
- Four Questions Every Buyer Should Ask
- The Firm Outpaces Transaction Totals from Previous Two Years
- Faces of Omaha 2016: Face of Business Brokerages
- The Firm Business Brokerage Set to Double Sales within Seller's Market - MBJ 2014