Niche Architecture w/ 35% Profit Margin
Architecture focus in apartments & senior health care!
This architecture firm is registered in two provinces and specializes in multi-family residential and mixed-use designs. The team of twenty creates beautiful properties for developers and contractors who are building office buildings, residential towers, senior care facilities, and public buildings, in addition to multi-family homes and mixed-use developments. Most work is completed in the lower mainland area of British Columbia as well as Alberta. Projects have been completed in the U.S. and this company is willing to take on additional projects throughout the States. The pipeline is over $3.8MM and with additional contracts in progress. The current owners are the two registered architects within the firm, and they are willing to remain a part of the team for up to 3 years to ensure a smooth transition of projects and client relationships.
The team of eighteen includes eleven technicians, one office manager, two site field reviewers, and four interns. The owners currently focus on design duties, oversight and business development. They both work full time, but the team is well-trained and very capable of completing high quality work for clients. Operations are managed from a 2,800 square foot double-height office space that features an open plan workspace and a board room. A mezzanine level contains a kitchen area and second boardroom plus additional workstations.
Growth is nearly endless in the Vancouver area and the demand for multi-family residences as well as mixed-use properties is very high. Future plans could include building upon this current specialty or working to build clients within the industrial or office sectors. An additional registered architect could be added to the team to increase capacity, if desired.
- Year Established: 2000
- Location: Surrey, British Columbia area
- Service Area: Vancouver, British Columbia area, lower mainland British Columbia, Alberta, has worked in the U.S. previously
- Services: Architecture services: wood frame, concrete, and steel designs
- Clients: Developer/builders of multi-family residences, office buildings and residential towers, industrial spaces, mixed use properties, senior health care, and public buildings
- Lease: 2,800 sq. ft.: Open plan workspace with board rooms and a kitchen. Seven parking stalls are included.
- Reason for Selling: Strategic planning, industry consolidation
- Personnel: 20: 11 Technicians, 1 office manager, 2 site reviewers, 4 interns, 2 owners are registered architects
- Seller Training Period: Owners will stay on for 2-3 years to ensure a smooth transition of projects and client relationships
- Growth Opportunities: Continue expansion into the multi-family space, add another registered architect to increase capacity, there is a great deal of work available in the area
- Current Owners’ Responsibilities: Architects, oversight, business development
- List Price: $5,850,000
- Gross Sales:
- 2019: $3,652,089
- Cash Flow:
- 2019: $1,203,908
- Assets Included in Purchase*
- Equipment: $60,000: Computer equipment, software, office furniture and fixtures
- Pipeline: $3,800,000
- Intangible Assets: Profitable niche architecture projects, registration in two provinces, operates within booming Vancouver and lower mainland area
Cash Flow Analysis
|Description of Financial Statement||P&L Statement|
Sept 2019-Jan 2020
Sept 2018-Aug 2019
Sept 2017-Aug 2018
Sept 2016-Aug 2017
Sept 2015-Aug 2016
Sept 2014-Aug 2015
|Net Income Shown on Financial Statement||$494,598||$1,157,262||$1,316,811||$967,479||$1,327,877||$495,859|
|Compensation to Owner||$4,323||$10,374||$10,374||$498,774||$462,320||$989,248|
|Seller's Cash Flow = Total Addbacks + Net Income||$512,316||$1,203,908||$1,334,708||$1,471,879||$1,755,854||$1,411,967|
|Profit Margin||34.75 %||32.96 %||36.16 %||39.34 %||47.04 %||43.39 %|
Clients and Services
Architecture services (wood frame, steel and concrete) for developer/builders of the following properties:
- Multi-family residences
- Office buildings and towers
- Industrial spaces
- Mixed use properties
- Health care
- Public buildings
Specific information regarding clients is available upon the receipt of a signed Non-Disclosure Agreement.
Total Personnel: 18
- 11 Technicians
- 1 Office manager
- 2 Site reviewers
- 4 Interns
- The owners are the two registered architects. The four interns will likely become registered architects as well.
- Continue expansion into the multi-family space
- Add another registered architect to increase capacity
- There is a great deal of work available in the area
The Firm used a cash flow valuation methodology to determine the purchase price of the business.
The formula used is as follows:
Cash Flow x Prescribed Multiple = Fair Market Value
Cash flow is the sum of business net income plus any owner perks and any non-onward going expenses.
A prescribed multiple is determined by a 20 question, 100-point parameter ranking system that is used to analyze the current business health. Each question is based on a scale from 1 to 5: 1 being low, 2 below average, 3 average, 4 above average, 5 high. The average of the responses sum is the business’ prescribed multiplier.
For this business, a 3-year average cash flow was used with a prescribed multiple of 4.6. With this information, the computation is as follows:
$1,266,058 x 4.6 = $5,823,867
The fair market value found above positions the business list price at $5,850,000.
Purchase Price: $5,850,000
15%Buyer Down Payment: $877,500
20%Seller Financing or
Equity Roll: $1,170,000
65%Bank Loan: $3,802,500
Seller financing 5-year term at a rate of 4.50% equals a monthly loan payment of $21,812.
Bank loan 10-year term at a rate of 6% equals a monthly loan payment of $42,216.
After business expenses and loan payments, a buyer with a 15% down payment of $877,500 would retain a profit of $497,723, which results in a 56% return on investment in the first year.
A lender is required to have a minimum 1.5 coverage ratio for any business loans extended. At a proposed purchase price of $5,850,000 with the terms listed above, the coverage ratio is 1.65.
Please note that the decision of whether to extend a loan on any sale belongs to the bank, and this document does not guarantee specific terms or verify that financing is available.
*The Firm is not a real estate brokerage and therefore the staff will not handle any aspect of the lease, sale or purchase of real estate.
Offer Price: $
% Buyer Cash Down at Closing: $
% Seller Carry Back via Promissory Note: $
year term at a rate of %
% of Purchase Price secured by Buyer and Seller
Total Bank Loan Need: $
% of Purchase Price
Desired Loan Type:
Desired Bank Terms: year term at a rate of %
Total Business Assets, Inventory, and A/R: $
Total Undercollateralized Loan: $
|Monthly Payment to Bank:||$|
|Yearly Payment to Bank:||$|
|Monthly Payment to Seller:||$|
|Yearly Payment to Seller:||$|
|Total Monthly Debt Service:||$|
|Total Yearly Debt Service:||$|
Fixed Charge Coverage Ratio
The bank will require a minimum ratio of 1.5 to be lendable.
3 year average cash flow
|Annual Debt Service:||$|
Buyer's Net Operating Income (NOI)
The amount of money the Buyer will retain as profit.
3 year average cash flow
|Annual Debt Service:||-$|
Buyer's Return on Investment (ROI)
The rate of return on the Buyer's down payment.
|Document Title / Description|
This folder is empty.
Access to this Deal Room is restricted
Would you like to access the deal room?Yes, please
Already have an account? Log in here.
Print, sign and send to:210 N 78th St. 2nd Floor
Omaha, NE 68114
Or fax to: