Engineering Investigation and Consulting
Over $1.7MM in revenue for 2018!
Working with a diverse client base of building owners and management companies, these specialists examine and test structures in over fifty areas from water leakage to structural integrity. A report is written after the investigation is complete and any areas of concern that present themselves are matched with suggested repairs or replacements. This dynamic company also provides services to ensure that the right contractors are hired, the work is done to a high standard, and budgets are met.
The majority of customers are multi-residential builders, building owners, and management companies. Due to legislation in Ontario relating to condominiums, this business also does a lot of work with condominium corporations looking to utilize reserve fund studies, associated repairs and maintenance programs. Additional areas of income are expert litigation support services as well as external teaching seminars and courses.
- Year Established: 1992
- Location and Service Area: Toronto, Ontario
- Services: Architectural and engineering investigation and consulting
- Clients: Multi-residential housing builders, owners, and management companies, commercial properties, and institutions
- Lease: 2,000 sq. ft.: office, co-working space, conference room, reception, refreshment station
- Reason for Selling: Retirement planning
- Employees: 12: Engineer (10), Administrative (2)
- Seller Training Period: 2-3 years
- Growth Opportunities: Expand reserve fund work, increase concrete diagnostics, implement maintenance contracts, refine sales and follow-ups
- Current Owner’s Responsibilities: 6 months per year in Toronto and 6 months per year in Florida
- List Price: $1,650,000
- Gross Sales:
- 2018: $1,704,464
- 2017: $1,394,285
- 2016: $1,452,376
- Cash Flow:
- 3-year avg: $385,990
- Assets Included in Purchase*
- Equipment: $193,969: Furniture, fixtures, computers, tools, specialized testing and diagnostic equipment
- A/R: $360,000+
- Intangible Assets: Very strong reputation, long-term client relationships, niche specializations, well-educated and highly knowledgeable team, few competitors, recognized and well-respected name
*amounts may vary
Cash Flow Analysis
|Description of Financial Statement||Tax Return|
|Net Income Shown on Financial Statement||$150,236||$130,617||$119,768||$372,720|
|Compensation to Owner||$180,000||$180,000||$165,446||$33,600||Owner|
|Other unrelated Salaries||$120,000||$120,000||$109,380||$21,900||Owner's wife|
|Replacement Salary||$-150,000||$-150,000||$-150,000||$-150,000||For owner onward going|
|Bad Debt||$0||$0||$7,500||$0||One Time Expense|
|Auto-Personal Use||$16,967||$15,522||$19,484||$17,427||50% Personal|
|Seller's Cash Flow = Total Addbacks + Net Income||$401,142||$387,840||$370,038||$386,790|
|Profit Margin||23.53 %||27.82 %||25.48 %||28.05 %|
- Multi-residential builders, building owners, contractors, and managers
- Commercial property owners
Specific information regarding clients is available upon the receipt of a signed Non-Disclosure Agreement.
- Architectural and engineering investigation and consulting
- Building Condition Assessments
- Reserve Fund Assessments
- Advanced repair and restoration planning and management
- Project management
- Outside educational classes
Total employees: 12
- Engineers (10)
- Administrative (2)
- Architect (owner)
- Expand reserve fund work
- Increase concrete diagnostics
- Implement maintenance contracts
- Refine sales and follow-ups
- Add an architect to the team
- Add a designer to the team
The Firm Business Brokerage used a cash flow valuation methodology to determine the purchase price of the business.
The formula used is as follows:
Cash Flow x Prescribed Multiple = Fair Market Value
Cash flow is the sum of business net income plus any owner perks and any non-onward going expenses.
A multiple is prescribed by a 20 question, 100-point parameter ranking system that is used to analyze the current business health. Each question is based on a scale from 1 to 5: 1 being low, 2 below average, 3 average, 4 above average, 5 high. The average of the responses sum is the business’ prescribed multiple.
For this business, the 3-year average cash flow was used with a prescribed multiple is 4.28. With this information, the computation is as follows:
$385,990 x 4.28 = $1,652,037
The fair market value found above positions the business list price at $1,650,000.
Purchase Price: $1,650,000
15% Buyer Down Payment: $247,500
20% Seller Financing: $330,000
65% Bank Loan: $1,072,000
Seller financing 5-year term at a rate of 4.50% equals a monthly loan payment of $6,152.
Bank loan 8-year term at a rate of 6% equals a monthly loan payment of $14,094.
After business expenses and loan payments, a buyer with a 15% down payment of $247,500 would retain a profit of $143,033, which results in a 58% return on investment in the first year.
A lender is required to have a minimum 1.5 coverage ratio for any business loans extended. At a proposed purchase price of $1,650,000 with the terms listed above, the coverage ratio is 1.59.
Please note that the decision of whether to extend a loan on any sale belongs to the bank, and this document does not guarantee specific terms or verify that financing is available.
Offer Price: $
% Buyer Cash Down at Closing: $
% Seller Carry Back via Promissory Note: $
year term at a rate of %
% of Purchase Price secured by Buyer and Seller
Total Bank Loan Need: $
% of Purchase Price
Desired Loan Type:
Desired Bank Terms: year term at a rate of %
Total Business Assets, Inventory, and A/R: $
Total Undercollateralized Loan: $
|Monthly Payment to Bank:||$|
|Yearly Payment to Bank:||$|
|Monthly Payment to Seller:||$|
|Yearly Payment to Seller:||$|
|Total Monthly Debt Service:||$|
|Total Yearly Debt Service:||$|
Fixed Charge Coverage Ratio
The bank will require a minimum ratio of 1.5 to be lendable.
3 year avg Cash Flow
|Annual Debt Service:||$|
Buyer's Net Operating Income (NOI)
The amount of money the Buyer will retain as profit.
3 year avg Cash Flow
|Annual Debt Service:||-$|
Buyer's Return on Investment (ROI)
The rate of return on the Buyer's down payment.
|Document Title / Description|
This folder is empty.
Access to this Deal Room is restricted
Would you like to access the deal room?Yes, please
Already have an account? Log in here.
Print, sign and send to:210 N 78th St. 2nd Floor
Omaha, NE 68114
Or fax to: