Biological and Environmental Advisory Firm w/ Preferred Staffing
With $5MM in pipeline & a 46% profit margin!
Clients include builders/developers, cities, counties, water districts, school districts, the State of California, Caltrans, and metropolitan planning organizations throughout Southern California.80% of their clients are private firms and agencies, while the remaining 20% are federal government contracts.
This highly focused team of 23 professionals with decades of experience leads clients through complex local, state and federal agency processes with excellence and maintains their business year over year. This firm is focused on providing superior service to existing clients, identifying new potential clients and participating in the Women Transportation Seminar, American Planning Association and Association of Environmental Professionals.
The owner currently works on business development and project/ financial oversight. Growth opportunities include the expansion of cultural and CEQA services as they become leading divisions for the company.
- Year Established: 1996
- Location and Service Area: Southern California
- Client Demographics: 80% Private firms and public agencies; 20% federal government contracts
- Services: Environmental business in the areas of CEQA/NEPA, biological, regulatory and cultural services
- Lease: 7,500 sq. ft. featuring 19 offices, 3 storage areas, kitchen, 7 covered parking stalls
- Reason for Selling: Industry consolidation
- Employees: 23: (1) Controller, (1) Admin Assistant, (1) Office Assistant, (4) Directors, (4) Project Managers, (3) Project Coordinators, (7) Field Techs, (1) GIS, (1) Marketing
- Seller Training Period: 6 months - 1 year
- Growth Opportunities: Division expansion of cultural and CEQA services
- Current Owner’s Responsibilities: Business development and project/financial oversight
Cash Flow Analysis
|Description of Financial Statement||Tax Return||Tax Return||Tax Return||Notes|
|Net Income Shown on Financial Statement||$1,444,486||$1,417,541||$681,211|
|Compensation to Owner||$194,016||$231,702||$226,418|
|11% Tax on total W2 Salaries||$21,342||$25,487||$24,906|
|Non-Business Telephone||$1,800||$1,800||$1,800||$150 per month|
|Auto-Personal Use||$150,000||$0||$0||One time expense|
|Computer Program||$50,000||$0||$0||One time expense|
|Seller's Cash Flow = Total Addbacks + Net Income||$1,857,370||$1,622,158||$888,860|
|Profit Margin||45.79 %||43.06 %||30.59 %|
- Engineering firms
- School districts
- Metropolitan Planning Organizations
Specific information regarding clients is available upon the receipt of a signed Non-Disclosure Agreement.
- Preparation of CEQA/NEPA documents
- Biological mapping, endangered species surveys and reports
- Regulatory permits and wetland/waters delineations
- Cultural resources
- Habitat mitigation, monitoring and reporting
- Mitigation banking entitlement
- Peer review and due diligence
- (1) Controller
- (1) Admin Assistant
- (1) Office Assistant
- (4) Directors
- (4) Project Managers
- (3) Project Coordinators
- (7) Field Techs
- (1) GIS
- (1) Marketing
- Expansion of cultural services
- Expansion of the CEQA division
The Firm used a cash flow valuation methodology to determine the purchase price of the business.
The formula used is as follows:
Cash Flow x Prescribed Multiple = Fair Market Value
Cash flow is the sum of business net income plus any owner perks and any non-onward going expenses.
A multiple is prescribed by a 20 question, 100-point parameter ranking system that is used to analyze the current business health. Each question is based on a scale from 1 to 5: 1 being low, 2 below average, 3 average, 4 above average, 5 high. The average of the responses sum is the business’ prescribed multiple.
For this business, a 2018 cash flow was used with a prescribed multiple is 5.05. With this information, the computation is as follows:
$1,857,370 x 5.05 = $9,379,718
The fair market value found above positions the business list price at $9,390,000.
*The Firm is not a real estate brokerage and therefore the staff will not handle any aspect of the lease, sale or purchase of real estate.
|Document Title / Description|
This folder is empty.
Access to this Deal Room is restricted
Would you like to access the deal room?Yes, please
Already have an account? Log in here.
Print, sign and send to:210 N 78th St. 2nd Floor
Omaha, NE 68114
Or fax to: